• OCC: Holidays 2013 - day 2 - die cut inlay

    Day 2 class included a lesson on  Layered Die Cut Inlay. I didn't have much time as I had dinner with my family then met up with Teresa for some Michael's browsing (PL albums were buy 1 get 1 free!). By the time I got home it was 9pm and I finished the 4 card fronts below (I should do more stamping and more sparkles...) by 11:15pm.  I really just wanted to try the technique. But how to do it without craft dies... *ponder ponder*

    Once again, I have to get creative with my card making because I don't have a die cutter yet. I used my silhouette to cut out various shapes: 
    • trees/house and snowflake are from Birds Cards Xmas Cut Files
    • "joy" is text I welded together
    I cut the design from 4 sheets of different colored cardstock and proceeded to put the puzzles back together! Because I did it this way, and didn't have time to figure out how to layer the cuts in the silhouette software in a clean way, I didnt actually layer the elements. They're all independent..

    I haven't even had the chance to trim and put these on cards yet. I'd like to probably add some small embellishments and/or glitters. These were more just a chance to try out the technique that Jennifer McGuire showed in class. I actually enjoyed putting these together because I like puzzles and I like meticulous detail type of work. I know.. I'm weird.

    A side shot of the first card front to show how flat this card is. SO COOL! Also, I think I need a new blade for my silhouette... the snowflake cuts were a bit fuzzy.


    6 comments → OCC: Holidays 2013 - day 2 - die cut inlay

    1. So pretty !

    2. Thank you!

    3. These puzzle-piece cards are so neat! Just the flatness is fascinating--not layering the dies is ok. Altho I bet you could try that with your Cameo, too. There must be the equivalent of "the Cricut Craftroom" where you can manipulate the images. You've inspired me to try this!
      In response to your Q re: the b-d card for Anne-Marie Hile, I first die cut the pooches from plain coloured card stock, then stamped in coordinating ink and added shading with Copic markers. They were fun to "decorate". Tx.

    4. Love your card toppers! I, too, like the look of "flatness" with the inlaid technique!
      MarjR

    5. Clever idea! Well done . . .

    6. I think you did an awesome job with your Silhouette! Wish I had one...love your cards!